Sunday, September 21, 2008
Cucumber Pickle (Acar Timun)
1 red chili
1 large onion
8 tablespoons salt
2 cm ginger
3 cloves garlic
8 dried chilies (can put less according to your taste...)
1/2 cup dried prawns
1/2 teaspoon oil (I put in 1 tablespoon of oil, much better.)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 cup candlenuts
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
3/4 cup vinegar
31/2 tablespoons sugar
1. Cut cucumbers and carrot into 2.5 cm strips.
2. Cut the red chili into 5 cm strips and the large onion into 5 cm wedges.
3. Sprinkle salt over the cut vegetables and let them stand for at least 2 hours.
4. When the vegetables are limp, wash away the salt and spread them on a clean tea towel in a cool place to dry.
5. Grind together the chilies, shallots, garlic and ginger.
6. Pound the dried prawns.
7. Heat the oil and fry mustard seed for 1/2 minute before adding in the ground ingredients and turmeric powder.
8. Fry for another 5 minutes.
9. When the oil separates, add in the dried prawns and continue cooking for another 3 minutes before adding in the vinegar and sugar.
10. Cook slowly until the mixture is fairly thick.
11. Add in more salt and sugar if necessary.
12. Stir in the prepared vegetables and toss quickly to mix well.
13. When the vegetables are well mixed with the spices, remove the pan from the heat.
14. Cool slightly before storing in clean, dry jars.
I dedicate this blog to all of you who share my interest in cooking and food in general. For those who felt that they like food but poor in kitchen works, well just wish that I can give you some lending hands. I try my best!
This first entry is a delicacy that I often seen when I was still a small girl. My mom used to do this for Christmas and Gawai celebrations. I came to know about the recipe on a website called : http://www.101cookingrecipes.com/vegetable-cooking-recipes/cucumber-pickle.php Try it. It's mouth watering! :)